How To Enjoy Running FeaturedWritten by Edna Reed
Many people want to run but often see it as a task that's undesirabe and formidable. They are unable to fathom how they will actually come to enjoy it enough to become a life long runner. However, with a little bit of mental housekeeping running can become something that is actually looked forward to with a great amount of anticipation! Use the following tips to get you on your way!!
1) Have a plan! Being successful at running requires finding a doable beginning running plan. Look for a couch to 5K training plan to get you on your way to running 3.1 miles. Going from a non-runner to a runner of 3 miles can be accomplished in 8-10 weeks. That's no time in the scheme of things!
2) Mile 1 will be the hardest mile of all! If you will understand this, own this, and accept this simple fact you are on your way to becoming a life long runner. The first mile is ALWAYS the hardest and will remain the hardest. BUT IT IS CRUCIAL to dominate this first mile. It will take all of your determination and mental focus but once you conquer the first one, the rest will come a whole lot easier!
3) Shoes do make a difference! Try something lightweight and comfortable. The right shoes are different for different people. Some love Saucony. Some love Brooks. Some love Nike. Some love New Balance. Some love Newtons. Some love Vibrams. Some love no shoes at all!! The key is to find something that makes your legs feel loose and your footing feel firm.
4) Educate your self on running form! I suggest reading Chi Running by Danny Dreyer for the absolute BEST book on running form that is out there. It is an absolute must read in my opinion. Also, Born to Run by Christopher McDougall is also a great running book to read.
5) Realize you will want to quit at least 2-3 times during every run! Find yourself some mental mantras to pull through these moments! Examples of these are: Winners never quit and quitters never win! Pain is weakness leaving the body! Pull through these moments by doing some positive thinking and pushing through! Keep picking up your feet! You will pull through these!
Hopefully these tips will get you going! Now get out there and don't quit!!